5 Reasons Why Meditation is one of the most important tools for Motherhood.
For some of you meditation will be new, others very familiar. Meditation draws our attention to feelings, sounds, our senses, as we slow our thoughts and our mind and relax our body. Meditation is a way of bringing our consciousness from the past (our regrets, should haves, etc) and the future (fears, to do list etc) to the what is real, the Present.
The Present is where your baby lives. Babies and children are incredibly and awesomely Present. They are fully engaged in what they are doing and seeing and feeling. They do not understand time, and cannot remember and store the past in their mind. Ask a preschooler what he did at kinder and he will often have trouble relaying it. Looking with a blank confused face. If you want to be with your baby. Truly Be with your baby and connected. You need to slow down. Right down. And be Present. It took me years, well into toddlerhood, to slow myself down. I remember moments thinking "Wow it was like the world was in slow motion and I felt so close to my baby". I'm sure they felt me close too. Each year I felt "Now I have finally slowed down". It needs constant focus. I know my children feel it when my mind is a million miles away. My son will stand up and just leave the room or get up and hop out of the bath. It takes lots of training to maintain Presence. Motherhood can be seen as a practice in meditation and Presence. I think the biggest gift you can give your baby is Presence.
1) Meditation connects us to our heart. The best thing a mother can always do is follow her heart. Wisdom, guidance, clarity, intuition comes to us in the Present. This is the most trusted tool of a mother. To just know, this is not right for my baby or this is right for my baby. Intuition in birth is our biggest support. I just knew my baby is not going to go into distress in labour. Other times I knew this is too dangerous, before seeing a snake close by. The room is too quiet I must check on my baby. I know that piece of advice is not right for my baby. I know that piece of clothing doesn't reason-ate with my baby. I know it's a girl. I know why my toddler is upset, I just know this solution is what they need ..... it goes on throughout your child's life. Motherhood is a steep learning curve once baby arrives however to have that connection, that calm confidence in your intuition early is of greatest value.
2) When we are a mother we wear the Madonnas cloak for the first three years of our childs life. The Madonnas cloak symbolises the baby wrapped up in the energy that surrounds us like a cloak. A calm, clear gentle energy will help the baby adjust to this world and develop. Babies can feel our emotions, our stress. It becomes their environment surrounding them. So one of the most helpful things is to clear your energy to one of beauty. This does not mean we have to be perfectly happy all the time and not feel our emotions. As we are human and life goes on around us this is impossible. Baby appreciates you working through these things too. But to be aware of our Madonnas cloak and be able to raise our consciousness so we can work through stress and simplify and manage our lives, to support and protect our selves, our energy is of great importance. Meditation, drawing us back to inner peace is one way of helping our Madonnas cloak.
3) Meditation is a lovely way to put babies to sleep. When my mind slows they slow and go to sleep. After years of study, passionately working in my field, running a business and looking after horses, it was really hard to slow my mind at sleep time. Once you are a mother the to do list is only greater. Being practiced at meditation will help immensely. What a lovely energy for them to be familiar with as they become familiar with the world. What a lovely energy for them to carry with them through life and be able to recognise it (or lack of it) in themselves and in others.
4) Meditation is also a great recharge and rejivenation when we have a busy, energetic toddler/preschooler, who is just learning independence and learning how to work through their emotions. Also for when we have a toddler and new baby and no time to ourselves. Being able to stay calm, grounded, centred through these times will be a beautiful model for your child and help to your child learn to navigate their emotions in a loving environment.
5) Meditation is a lovely quiet time for the mother to be. A time when visions can come to us, when we can connect to our baby, send our baby love, commune with our baby. A time to rest our amazing bodies. Bathing you and your baby in beautiful healing healthy energy.
So meditation is of great value" to a mother for so many reasons. Rather than learning how to do this once your baby comes, which is harder as you are busier and more tired and becoming good at it by the time your child is 4, be skilled at it before. What beautiful energy you will be able to give your baby and child throughout its day. What a beautiful energy for them to learn as part of a normal life. How to Be. Let's start from the very start today, building a deeper connection with the beautiful soul that has chosen you to be their mother.
For this week take 15-30 min a day, lying in your sacred space. You may like to do any of the following.
Simply observe your breathe. When it changes from inspiration to expiration, where you feel it, your nostrils, your tummy, your shoulders, where the air is going. Simply observe, no judgement. When your mnd wonders just simply bring it back to the breath.
Try simply observing the sounds around you. In your body, in the room, outside the room.
Or you may like to observe your body. Feel where it is touching contact, where muscle tension is, feel what and where your emotions are in your body.
Finally connecting with your baby. Surrounding your baby with love.